After reading my article, “How to Choose the Right Topic for Your Blog”, maybe now you already have chosen the right topic that your blog will be talking about. So, your problem now is what should be the domain name of your blog.
Domain name is a unique name of a site. It is also an address of a website. For example, the domain name of Google Search is “GOOGLE.COM”, without quotes. If you want to visit the Google Search, you’ll just type its domain Google.Com with the “http://” in the browser’s URL bar.
“Choosing a domain name is easy”. Some might tell you like that. And yes, it’s just easy to choose what domain your blog should use. You can even use your own name, just like what I did in mine. SELaplana is actually my personal name and when I used it for my blog, the name became SELAPLANA.COM.
However, if you want to earn huge money from your blog, you need to choose the right domain name for your blog. This is one of the secrets of those who became successful in making huge money online.
But of course, there are also online money maker who use their own personal name as the domain name of their blogs yet they still succeed. Few examples of these money makers are John Chow with his JOHNCHOW.COM, and Carl Ocab with his CARLOCAB.COM.
Here are few of the things you need to consider in choosing a domain name for your blog:
- Keep the domain short. Short domain name is easy to manage and is easy for the internet users to memorize.
- Do not include dash (hyphen) symbol or the underscore symbol. If your chosen domain name is composed of two or three words, then don’t separate them using any symbol. For example, if you want your domain name to carry the words Tips, Credit Card, and Use, then simply uses the domain name CREDITCARDUSETIPS.COM or CREDITCARDTIPS.COM.
- Do not include numbers or any other symbols.
- Do not use abbreviation or acronym if possible. However, this is not always true especially if the abbreviation or acronym you want to use is popular. For example, PRC for the Professional Regulation Commission is very much popular especially to those internet users who are looking for the licensure examination results released by the PRC. Besides, the name “Professional Regulation Commission” is a very long name.
- Make your domain original. Never use a domain that infringes any other people’s intellectual property.
- If possible, use the .COM extension for your domain name. You can of course use any extension name but .COM is the most recognized extension. When people type a URL of a website, they assume the .COM extension of any website they know.
- Your domain name should contain the important keywords that you want to rank high in the Search Engine Result Pages of any search engine especially in Google SERP. If your blog will be dealing with reviews on digital camera, then you can use the domain name that contains your most important keywords: Review, Digital and Camera. Your domain name can be DIGITALCAMERAREVIEW.COM or REVIEWDIGITALCAMERA.COM.Why are we trying to use important keywords in our domain name? It is because SEO or Search Engine Optimization is really part of blogging. Using an SEO friendly domain name for your blog is also one of the ways of optimizing your blog for the search engine.When we say “optimizing your blog for the search engine” it means you’ll make your blog a search engine friendly. In other words, your blog should be in accordance to the algorithm used by the search engines in ranking websites at their result pages. And one of the things considered by the search engine in ranking the websites is the keywords contained with its domain name.
For example: If someone is searching for available pet store in the internet by using the keyword “dog”, “pet”, and “store” then those websites with their domain names containing “dog”, “pet”, and “store” keywords usually are ranked at the top. The websites listed on the top of the search engine result page are the ones that the searchers will find easily.
Remember that we need traffic in to our blog for us to earn money from our blog. So the domain name shoud be a search engine friendly.
Free Domain vs Your Own Paid Domain
One of our subscribers asked me what he should do to earn money from his blog in the WordPress.Com.
Actually using a free domain from a free hosting services like KEYWORD.WORDPRESS.COM, a subdomain from WordPress.Com or KEYWORD.BLOGSPOT.COM from Blogspot.Com is a big No – No for me.
In the first place, the management of the WordPress.Com doesn’t allow their users to make money from the blogs that the WordPress.Com hosted with. Now, why should you use their services if your aim is to earn money from the blogs you have?
Secondly, Wordpres.Com, Blogspot.Com (Blogger.Com) and other free blog hosts have their own terms and condition that users should agree with. Violating the terms and conditions and policies will eventually result to termination of your account including your blog.
To let you know, I already have three (3) blogs that had been deleted by Blogger.Com because their engine detected that my three (3) blogs were looked like spam. I don’t know why my blogs were considered spam when in fact they were not. So, the efforts I made on those blogs were just wasted because those blogs were already deleted including, of course, my articles posted on them.
So, if you want to make money from your blog, you better register your own domain name and not just the domain provided by certain free blog hosts.
- sprayinsulations net