In my previous article, “How to choose the Right Domain for Your Blog“, I already told you not to use the free blog hosts because you’ll be having the hard time making money with your blog if it is hosted by those free hosts. If you really want to maximize your income from your blog, you need to buy your own domain and a hosting account.
To make it clear here’s the list of advantages and disadvantages of free webhosts:
Advantages of Free Webhost:
- Free Webhost is of course free. You don’t have to pay anything.
- Few free Webhosts offers unlimited bandwidth. Whether your blog will receive huge traffic or eat up huge bandwidth, your blog remains running.
- Blogs are networked. Most of the free webhost has their homepage where the blogs recently featured and recently created are being featured. Other Free Webhost offers a navigation bar which is placed at the top most area of the blogs and one of the links on this navigation bar is the “NEXT BLOG” wherein if it is clicked, it opens a blog from the network in a random.
Disadvantages of Free Webhost:
- Free Webhost offers limited features. Most of the webhosts offer limited bandwidth and limited space.
- There are Free Webhosts that requires its users to retain the company’s code at the users’ blogs. These codes often times are advertising scripts, or links to the company’s home page.
- There are Free Webhosts although they do not require you to do a thing as stated in number 3 however they do not allow you to make money from your blog.
- Some Free Webhosts has its own engine that monitors the activity of its users’ blogs. If this engine identifies your blog as spam, the system automatically suspends your blog, and after several days, you’ll find your blog deleted already.
Therefore, free webhost is good only if you want to create a blog but don’t have plans to make huge money from them.
Since our purpose of starting our own blog is to earn huge money from it, so we better get our own webhost. But first, here are the advantages and disadvantages of the paid host.
Advantages of Paid Hosting:
- You can freely take off all the restrictions if you want.
- You can increase the bandwidth
- You can increase the space
- You can install features which you think useful to your blog
- You can customize everything.
- You can have your own email using your own domain.
- Paid Hosting is not really that expensive.
- Paid Hosting has customer or tech support. If you experience problems with your site, you can call for a help from their support services.
- And of course, you can make money online from the blog hosted by paid host.
- One more thing: You can transfer from one host to other host without losing traffic.
Disadvantage of Paid Hosting:
- Actually I found only one problem with Paid Hosting and it is being a paid hosting. All the things you want for should be paid.
Actually, you don’t have to worry if you are spending money for your blog especially in getting a host.
Remember that blogging for money (making money online by blogging) is a kind of investment. The money you spent for your blog can be considered as your investment capital. However, it doesn’t end up with just spending money for your blog. If you do the right thing, then you’ll earn enough money which is enough for your blogging expenses including your own salary as professional blogger of your own blog. And if you continue to work hard for your blog, then time will come that you’ll earn huge money from your blog that is enough to buy your own house, own car, and finance your trip around the world.
So, how to pick the right web host?
Here’s the list of the things that you need to consider in picking a webhost that will host your blog:
- Uptime. Uptime is the percentage of time that your website or blog is viewable. So you need to know what the uptime of that webhost is. Best webhost has the lowest uptime of 99.5%.Servers of any webhosts are just made of human. So there is no perfect server. From time to time, the server hosting your website or blog will experience problem which causes your website or blog to be down or not viewable.
- Disk Space. Check the disk space that the webhost is offering in every package that it offers.
- Bandwidth. Bandwidth is the capacity of data being transferred from the server of your website or blog to computers of your blog’s or website’s visitors.
- Support. Good webhost has 24/7 support system. You really need support from your webhost because there will be times that you’ll be experiencing problems with their services.
Can you recommend us few best hosts?
From the review made by other bloggers who happened to transfer from one host to the other in search of better webhosting, I found that the following are better webhosts:
- DreamHost Webhosting (http://www.dreamhost.com/)
- Host Monster Webhosting (http://www.hostmonster.com/)
- BlueHost Web Hosting Provider (http://www.bluehost.com/)
- In Motion Hosting (http://www.inmotionhosting.com)
However, these webhosts are all based outside the Philippines, thus you need to pay them using Credit Cards.
Now what if you don’t have credit cards? Actually, there is no problem with it because there are good webhosts that are based in the Philippines. From several webhosts that I tried with, only two of them passed my preferences:
- PlogHost. Learn why I decided to remain my blog hosted by PlogHost by reading my article, “What Makes a Webhost Better than the Other?“.
And if you want to pay for your obligation to these local webhosts, you have to options to pay through bank to bank deposit, smart money or GCash.