In 17th century, Sabah (formerly North Borneo), became part of the territory of the Sulu Sultanate after the Sultanate of Brunei gave it to the Sulu Sultan as a gift.
In 19th century, the Sulu Sultan leased the land to British North Borneo Company. Later the land was ceded by the company to the Malaysian government.
In 1878, the Malaysian government based on an agreement started to pay the Sulu Sultanate 5,000 ringgit every year. In 1903, the payment, based on the new agreement was increased to 5,300 ringgit a year. Malaysia continuously paid the Sulu Sultanate the payment.
Sulu Sultanate Royal Army – Malaysian Forces Standoff
February 9, 2013, Saturday. About 100 followers of the Sulu Sultan Jamalul Kiram III, led by Datu Raja Muda Azzimudie (Agbimuddin) Kiram entered and occupied Kampung Tandou joining others who arrived earlier. Kampung Tandou is a coastal village of Lahad Datu. The Filipino nationals, few of them armed, occupied the village and declaring that the land is part of the Sulu Sultanate territory.
February 12, 2013, Tuesday. When the local fishermen reported their discovery of military-uniformed men in the village, the Malaysian authorities cordoned the area and ordered the royal fighters to return to Sulu. The royal fighters, however, defied the order, insisting that they don’t want war but just want to live with their fellow Tausugs on the land that bound by the Sulu Sultanate.
March 1, 2013, Friday. The standoff of the followers of Sulu Sultan and the Malaysian authorities ended up in a gun battle resulting to the death of 12 followers of Sulu Sultan and 2 Malaysian commandos. There are three other commandos injured in the gunfight.
March 2, 2013, Saturday. At 7:30 PM, the Malaysian authorities fired at the house of Imam Maas in Lahad Datu, killing the Iman and his 4 sons. The Imam is suspected of hiding the brother of the Sulu Sultan, Alepiuya Kiram.
March 3, 2013, Sunday. It was reported that 5 Malaysian Police Officers were killed in a skirmish in Kampung Sri Jaya Siminul, Semporna (300 kilometers to the standoff site) against about a 10 Royal Army of the Sulu Sultanate at about 6:30 PM Saturday, March 2, 2013. But Malaysian authorities are still verifying whether the group in Kampung Sri Jaya Siminul, Semporna are related to the Sulu Sultanate followers in Lahad Datu in Sabah.
The Sulu Sultan Jamalul Kiram III revealed that following the Semporna encounter, their camp has captured 4 Malaysian Police Officers. The captured officers are not taken hostage by the group but just war prisoners.
It was reported that the attack in Semporna is the retaliation of Filipino residence in the area after Malaysian authorities attacked the house of a religious leader that lead to the death of an imam and his four sons.
March 4, 2013, Monday. The Inspector-General of Malaysian Police, Tan Sri Ismail Omar, recognized the sultan royal army as adept in guerrilla tactics and realized that the gunmen had planned their location well so that they could inflict casualties if Malaysian forces enter the area.
In the afternoon, Malaysian military forces are on their way to join and assist the police commandos in fighting against the Filipino Sultan army.
March 5, 2013, Tuesday. At 7:00 AM, the military and police commandos started their operation while assisted by warplanes bombing the village.
Sultan’s spokesman, however, said that the royal army had abandoned the area before the Malaysian planes bombed it.
- 2 Police Officers Killed in Semporna Raid http://www.nst.com.my/latest/font-color-red-lahad-datu-font-2-policemen-killed-in-semporna-raid-1.227846
- Kiram Camp Claims It Captured Malaysian Officers http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/297497/news/nation/kiram-camp-claims-it-captured-4-malaysian-officials-in-clash
- Lahad Datu People Advised to Refrain From Speculating Situation http://www.nst.com.my/latest/font-color-red-lahad-datu-font-people-advised-to-refrain-from-speculating-lahad-datu-situation-1.227858
- Seven Killed in Fresh Clashes in Malaysian Bornew http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/International/2013/Mar-03/208590-seven-killed-in-fresh-clashes-in-malaysian-borneo.ashx
- Cops, military taking cautious approach http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2013/3/4/nation/12788723&sec=nation
- Sabah Uprising, http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2013/03/04/915533/sabah-uprising
- Sultanate of Sulu
- sabah war sulu royal forces
- sulu sulanate sava stand-off april 24 2013
- sulu sultan army vedio
- sabah war
- sabah sulu war
- sabah malaysia sula army
- sultan royal army vs malaysian
- sultan sula vs sabah malaysia update
- sultan sulu lahad malaysia military
- cnn news sulu sultanate royal army
- sulu army
- sulu royal
- sulu royal army war vs malaysia royal force
- sulu sultan royal army