My expulsion from the Google Adsense program has really challenged me. Those who are following me through this blog since 2006 knew that Adsense is my main source of income in the sense that 80 percent of my total income is coming from Google Adsense and the remaining 20 percent is a combination of my income from other sources. In other words, now that I am kicked from Google Adsense, my overall income is 80 percent less than my previous income when I was still publishing Google Adsense ads.
So, I was forced to find a cheaper VPS for all my sites which are previously hosted in a dedicated server from “The Planet” webhost now owned by Softlayer. However, we all knew that a cheap VPS oftentimes equal to slow speed. And that is true to the current performance of all my sites hosted by my current webhost compared to time when they were still hosted by a dedicated server.
While hosted by the Softlayer’s dedicated server, this blog’s load time according to Pingdom Website Speed tool, is just more or less 2 seconds. It’s still slower compared to other websites that load in just a fraction of a second. However, previous load time is already fast compared to a 60 seconds load time as measured by Pingdom during the time when the site is already hosted by the current webhost.
You can tell the drop of this blog’s speed performance by simply considering the graph shown above.
Google Hate Slow Loading Sites
Having a slow loading site has brought headache to me. It’s bounce rate increased and its ranking performance from the SERP especially with Google’s has dropped.
These two are actually few of the effects if your blog or website is so slow to load. Its visitors will surely be disappointed upon learning that a site they are opening takes a hell of time loading. This feeling of disappointment is also true to a search engine like Google.
You see, the site’s loading speed is already added to the Google’s algorithm as one of the signal used in ranking websites or webpages on its search result pages. So, if you have a slow-loading website, then expect that Google will list your website at the last pages of its SERP. And who wants his website be listed at the last pages of the SERP?
Remedy… Speeding Up Your Website
So, the first thing to do to speed up your website which is hosted on a slow machine is to optimize your website. You can do the following:
- Make your CSS small.
- Use fewer scripts.
- Optimize the images used by your site.
- If you are using WordPress as your site’s engine, use few and important plugins.
But of course, these steps will not really speed up your site if your host machine is already slow. However, they can help your machine work smoothly as long as the other websites hosted by that machine are not giving more loads into it.
After that, you need to find a better CDN (Content Delivery / Distribution Network). CDN will speed up your blog since it will host the copy of your website into its own servers in different regions of the earth which will later be served to the visitors of your site.
A CDN makes sure that its server installed near the location of your visitor is the one that will serve the content of your site to your visitor. For example: If the visitor of your blog is coming from the Philippines, a server of a CDN installed in Hong Kong or Singapore is the one that will serve the content of your blog to that visitor from the Philippines. However, if the visitor of your blog is coming from Canada, then the CDN’s server installed in Canada will be the one to serve the content of your blog to that visitor in Canada. With this the loading of your blog in front of a certain visitor will be faster since the visitor is actually accessing a server near him.
So, now what’s next?
Choosing a CDN
Of course the next thing to do is to choose a CDN to use for your website. There are many CDN available today.
Actually, I really want to use the Amazon’s Cloud Network. But, just like what you already knew, I am currently in a budget. So, the best thing that I need to do is to try a free CDN first, and there is only one free CDN that I knew and it is the CloudFlare.
As of writing this post, I am currently testing the CloudFlare. I am still observing if CloudFlare is effective in speeding up this blog or not. I will be updating this blog with information about my observations regarding my use of CloudFlare services with this blog.
- Powered by Article Dashboard western regional network
- legacy assured delivery prize notice
- Powered by Article Dashboard western regional